HomeTraining ResourcesBlogDeveloper Relations Conference Evans Data Corp.Conference Presentations
Interviews 2016JobsDirectoryPost a Job
Developer Relations Tools of the Trade
I’m often asked about the different tools I use in my developer relations, chief evangelist, developer communities and developer cheerleader jobs. This blog post contains a list of some of the tools that I currently use. It is not meant to be a complete list of all possible developer relations tools nor is the list an advertisement or endorsement of tools. There are many additional tools that are available for all aspects of being a developer relations professional. Where possible, I have included links to additional tools that are available.
Developer Relations Tools I Use
I’ve divided up the tools I use into several categories grouped by functionality and features. There are many other choices for tools you will use in your developer relations job, for your program, for developer outreach, developer program marketing, etc.
Webinars, Meetings, Screencasts, Videos:
- Online Webinars/Meetings/Conferences – GoToWebinar by Citrix (Windows, macOS, iOS/iPad), Facebook Live, YouTube Live. I’ve also used WebEx from time to time.
- Screen Cast Capture, Editing and Rendering – Camtasia by TechSmith (Windows and macOS). My default settings for capturing, editing and rendering videos – MP4 format, 1920×1080 resolution, 3-5 fps for slides/code, 15-30 fps for full motion video/animations.
- Broadcast video from my computer to multiple sites (Facebook Live, YouTube Live, Twitch and others) – Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
- Video Conversion – Miro Video Converter
Slides and Bitmaps
- Slides – Powerpoint for Windows (Keynote is also available on my MacBook Pro)
- Screen and Bitmap capturing – Windows Snipping Tool and macOS GrabIt
- Bitmap editing – PaintShop Pro, Windows Paint
- Exporting Powerpoint slides to bitmaps – Microsoft article: registry settings for default resolution of exported slides. My registry setting is for 1920×1080 resolution bitmaps.
Social Media Management/Marketing Tools:
- I use Buffer App (plug-ins for Chrome and other browsers). There are several other great social media marketing tools to consider using including HootSuite, Spout Social, Social Flow, Sprinklr, etc.
- WordPress, Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, Windows Notepad
- FTP Server Upload/Download – FileZilla
- Downloading Videos from YouTube and elsewhere – Free Download Manager
Social Sites (personal):
- Twitter – @davidi99
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/davidi99/
- LinkedIN – https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidi99
- Google+ – https://plus.google.com/117226819616856100290
Social Sites (DevRelate):
- Twitter – @dev_relate
- FaceBook – https://www.facebook.com/DevRelateAcademy/
- LinkedIN – https://www.linkedin.com/company/evans-data-corporation
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIHR06VHBHD0cZTVkogIODA
- Google+ – https://plus.google.com/115749736706846431987
Cloud Storage / FileSharing:
Alerts / Feeds / News:
Newsgroup Reader (NNTP protocol):
- XanaNews (written in Embarcadero Delphi)
Developer Answers Sites:
- Internal Evans Data app
Virtual Machine Software (for my MacBook Pro) for demos/appdev:
What Other Developer Relations Tools Do You Use
As I mentioned, the above is a list of the tools I use every day in my developer relations and evangelism job. If you use other tools, please send me an email with the other tools you use in your developer relations job.