Developer Relations Conference
Developer Marketing Summit
Evans Data Corp.
Post a Job
Developer Relations Best Practices and Tools of the Trade – Webinar Info and Links
As part of my DevRelate webinar presentation, “Developer Relations Best Practices and Tools of the Trade“, I am providing the links to the tools, websites, bloggers and other resources that I used for each of the seven best practices I cover in this week’s webinar. As I mention in the webinar, Evans’s Data Tactical Marketing – Developer Marketing and Developer Relations Programs – developer research reports provide hundreds of best practices that could have covered. Since I have to start somewhere, I’ve started with seven. My plan is to cover additional best practices and tools in future DevRelate webinars. Stay tuned to the DevRelate blog for news about additional webinars, dates and times.
Evans Data Tactical Marketing Reports
You can find the table of contents and a few sample pages from each report on the pages linked below. Contact our salesx team if you want to purchase the reports. The release schedule for all of our 2017 research reports can be found at https://evansdata.com/reports/release_schedule.php
- Overview of the two reports – https://evansdata.com/research/tactical_marketing_studies.php
- Developer Marketing Survey – https://evansdata.com/reports/viewRelease.php?reportID=10
- Developer Relations Survey – https://evansdata.com/reports/viewRelease.php?reportID=11
Seven Best Practices Covered in this week’s Webinar
- Social Media
- Buffer – https://buffer.com/ – I use this.
- Social Champ – https://www.socialchamp.io/ – used by Evans Data Marketing and also by Guy Kawasaki
- HootSuite – https://hootsuite.com/
- Sprout Social – http://sproutsocial.com/
- The Art of Social Media, Power Tips for Power Users – Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick – http://artof.social/
- DevRelate blog – https://www.devrelate.com/blog/
- Uber Developer Program uses Medium for blog posts – https://medium.com/uber-developers
Blogs for developers and DevRel professionals (you should also follow and collaborate with):
Thought/Tech leader blogs:
- Joel on Software – Joel Spolskey – http://www.joelonsoftware.com/
- Martin Fowler.com – Martin Fowler – https://martinfowler.com/bliki/
- Coding Horror – Jeff Atwood – https://blog.codinghorror.com/
- Scott Hanselman – http://www.hanselman.com/blog/
- Larry O’Brien – http://www.knowing.net/
- Brian Krebs – https://krebsonsecurity.com/
- Esther Schindler – https://www.linkedin.com/in/estherschindler/recent-activity/shares/
- WatersWorks John K Waters – https://adtmag.com/Blogs/WatersWorks/List/Blog-List.aspx
- Google Developer Blog – https://developers.googleblog.com/
- Android Developer Blog – https://android-developers.googleblog.com/
- Apple Developer News – https://developer.apple.com/news/
- Microsoft Developer Tools Blog – https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/developer-tools/
- Programmable Web (APIs) – https://www.programmableweb.com/
- Top Java Blogs – https://www.topjavablogs.com/
- ISO C++ foundation – https://isocpp.org/
- Paul Krill (Software Development, InfoWorld) – http://www.infoworld.com/author/Paul-Krill/
- David Linthicum (Cloud Computing, InfoWorld) – http://www.infoworld.com/author/David-Linthicum/
- Mary Jo Foley (ZDNet) – http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/
- Peter Bright (Technology, Ars Technica) – https://arstechnica.com/author/peter-bright/
- O’Reilly Ideas (formerly O’Reilly Radar) – https://www.oreilly.com/ideas
- A List Apart – http://alistapart.com/articles
- AllTop Tech – http://alltop.com/topic/tech
- Reddit Programming – https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/new/
- Word Press Newsletter Plugin – free plugin to add newsletter features to your WordPress based site or blog. Integrates with WordPress standard login form.
- Newsletter Archive Plugin Extension – adds a smart tag that you can put on a page to create and update when you create new newsletters.
- Oracle Eloqua – cloud based marketing automation driving dynamic journeys.
- Marketo – marketing automation for companies of any size.
- YouTube Live – how to set up your YouTube to live streaming your webinars
- Facebook Live – how to go live with your webinars
- OBS – Open Broadcaster Software – https://obsproject.com/
- LiveEdu.tv – https://www.liveedu.tv/ (formerly known as LiveCoding.tv)
- Twitch.tv programming channel – https://www.twitch.tv/programming
- Facebook Live and Video specs: https://www.facebook.com/facebookmedia/get-started/live
- Best Practices for YouTube – Trackmaven – http://trackmaven.com/blog/2015/07/6-best-practices-to-optimize-your-youtube-channel/
- YouTube tagging best practices – http://blog.grapevinelogic.com/proper-use-of-tags-4-tips-to-grow-your-youtube-audience/
- MediaWiki – open source wiki project written in PHP. Used by Wikipedia and Wikimedia. You can use the Book Creator extension to select Wiki pages and create a book. You can use the Collection extension to create collections of Wiki pages and export them as a PDF or a book. You can take your collections and have a book printed on demand by PediaPress.
- Calibre – free, open source e-book management tool for creating and converting content for eBooks. You can create and edit eBooks for major eBook formats. It also has a feature to synchronize eBooks to book reading devices.
- StackOverflow – community of more than 6 million developers. Has links to users with top reputations for answers by week, month, quarter, year and since the dawn of StackOverflow.
- Mastercard developer program support, you can email or ask questions on StackOverflow – https://mastercarddevelopersupport.desk.com/. Link to StackOverflow with tags: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/mastercard
- TechBeacon’s list of Slack groups for developers (you’ll have to ask to join most of them) – https://techbeacon.com/46-slack-groups-developers
Email me if you need additional help, links, tools, info
You can find additional tools and links that I use on my earlier blog post, “Developer Relations Tools of the Trade“. I will keep updating this blog post throughout the week. If you have tools, links and other resources to add, send me an email.
David Intersimone “David I”
Vice President of Developer Communities
Evans Data Corporation